Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Octoberfest Day 23: Gluten free Carrot Cake



Yesterday was my brother's birthday and even though we couldnt be together to celebrate I decided we would have curried prawns and birthday cake for dinner last night, in his honour.  I think, hope, he would have approved.  He is remembered with such joy and sadness.
It is the second time I have made this gluten free carrot cake and it is a sure winner. It is light, moist and tasty.  The first time I made it I put a cream cheese topping on it but I didnt have any on hand and truly, the cake needs nothing else.  Having said that, though, I really enjoy the spices in this cake and wonder what the addition of ginger would be like.  Think I'll try that next time, if I remember
here is the recipe:

Gluten Free Carrot and Walnut Cake
200g (2 cups) walnuts
2/3 cup gluten free plain flour
6 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon natural vanilla
1 and a quarter cups castor sugar
2 large organic carrots, finely grated (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon mixed spice

1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celscius
2. Grease a 24cm ring or Bundt tin
3. Process the nuts and flour in a food processor until the nuts are finely ground. add the mixed spice and baking powder and pulse until incorporated into the flour/nut mix
4. in a large bowl beat the egg yolks, vailla and sugar until lighter in colour then stir in the carrot and mix well.  Add the nut/flour mix and combine well.
5. In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold half the beaten egg whites into cake mix. when incorporated add the other half of the beaten egg whites.
6. Pour batter into prepared tin. Bake for 45 minutes until evenly browned and inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow the cake to firm up in tin for at least 20 minutes before turning out.

No comments:

Post a Comment